Traveling via RoRo just got easier and more convenient. The Maritime Industry Authority (MARINA), a gov’t agency under the Department of Transporation (DOTr), announced that it will open eight new RoRo missionary routes proposed by shipping operators in support of the Road Roll-on / Roll-off Terminal System (RRTS).
At the latest Oversight Meeting of the House Committee on Transportation chaired by House Speaker Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo, MARINA OIC Vice Admiral Narciso Vingson Jr presented the eight industry-proposed RoRo missionary routes.
The new eight industry-proposed RoRo missionary routes are the following:
- Daanbantayan, Cebu to Calbayog City, Samar
- Tabuelan, Cebu to Ajuy, Iloilo
- Laoay, Bohol to Cagayan de Oro
- San Juan, Batangas to Calapan, Oriental Mindoro
- Iloilo City to Cuyo, Palawan
- San Pascual, Burias Island, Masbate to Pasacao, Camarines Sur
- San Andres, Quezon to Pasacao, Camarines Sur
- Lucena, Quezon to San Fernando, Cebu
House Speaker Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo commended the MARINA of its effort to promote greater connectivity and economic interactions of the various islands of the archipelago.
The MARINA will issue a letter of approval that will give a proponent shipping operator 4 months to start vessel operation on its proposed route, while processing the acquisition of its Certificates of Public Convenience (CPCs).
Upon granting of the CPC, the proponent shipping operator will secure a five-year route protection or protection of investment, as well as 50% discount on the processing on the regular fees of all applications and renewal of ship documents, licenses, certificates, and permits.
In February 2019, seven (7) of the 19 newly-opened RoRo missionary routes were already applied for by shipping operators, signifying their interest to serve the unserved routes within the Philippine nautical highway.
The other 12 RoRo missionary routes that have been opened for prospective shipping operators include the following:
- Basco, Batanes to Currimao, Ilocos Norte
- San Juan, Batangas to Abra de Ilog, Occidental Mindoro
- Real, Quezon to Polillo Island, Quezon
- Lucena, Quezon to Buyabod, Marinduque
- Pantao, Albay to San Pascual, Masbate
- Calbayog City, Samar to Cataingan, Masbate
- Cuyo, Palawan to San Jose de Buenavista, Antique
- Oslob, Cebu to Dumaguete, Negros Oriental
- Punta Engano, Mactan Island, Cebu to Jetafe, Bohol
- Poro, Camotes, Cebu to Isabel, Leyte
- Lipata, Surigao del Norte to Dapa, Surigao del Norte
- Siaton, Negros Oriental to Dipolog City
Shipping companies are further encouraged to propose new missionary routes in addition to the existing list that can be developed further.